Foods—especially foods that share colors with the chakras—carry vibrations that can activate or balance your chakras.
1) The Root chakra is the home of a stable, slow vibration that enables one to be grounded in the workings of the world on a physical level. A healthy root chakra promotes core feelings of being part of a community, and it anchors the body in feelings of trust, safety, and protection.
1st Chakra Colors: Red, black, dark brown, charcoal gray
Health Associations: Responsible for body systems that provide physical structure, allowing for meaningful contact with the Earth: joints, bones, muscle, legs, and feet. Oversees the "boundaries" of the body through an internal and external defense system represented by the immune system and skin.
Root Chakra Healing Foods: Protein (especially animal protein), root vegetables, edible and medicinal mushrooms, red-colored foods (apples, pomegranates, etc.)
2) The Sacral chakra houses the dynamic, creative force that circulates creativity, sexuality, sensuality, and emotions through all layers of the self. A healthy sacral chakra will assist in wielding and manifesting raw creativity into an external form, including through relationships with others. A healthy sacral chakra allows us to "go with the flow" of life.
Chakra Color: Orange
Health Associations: Responsible for the liquid functions of the body: kidneys, bladder, large intestine. Oversees the "creativity" of the body through the uterus, fallopian tubes, and ovaries, as well as cell division and growth.
Sacral Chakra Healing Foods: Fats and oils, fish (especially wild-caught salmon), tropical fruits, seeds, nuts, orange-colored foods (oranges, tangerines, carrots, etc.)
3) The Solar Plexus chakra contains fiery, transformative energy that radiates the essence of the self to the outside world, harmonizing the inner and outer environments. A healthy solar plexus chakra will manifest as a brilliant expression of personal power accompanied by balanced energy flow and clear perceptions of life situations.
Chakra Color: Yellow
Health Associations: Responsible for the transformative functions of the body, including the digestive organs: esophagus, stomach, pancreas, small intestines, liver, and gallbladder. Oversees the "energy exchange" of the body through the generation of ATP, the body’s physical currency of energy, which is supplied by cell structures known as mitochondria (often referred to as "powerhouses of the cell").
Solar Plexus Chakra Healing Foods: Carbohydrates (complex), fiber, whole grains, legumes, yellow-colored foods (yellow sweet peppers, yellow lentils, corn, etc.)
4) The Heart chakra emits a loving, compassionate rhythm that translates pure feeling into emotional wisdom, discernment, and kindness. A healthy heart chakra will funnel love into a healing salve for all, including self, others, and the planet.
Chakra Colors: Green, rose, pink
Health Associations: Responsible for the circulatory functions of the body, including the heart, lungs, lymphatic system, and vessels. Oversees the "nurturing" functions of the body through the breasts, shoulders, arms, and hands.
Heart Chakra Healing Foods: Vegetables (especially cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, kale, cabbage, and leafy greens), sprouts, raw foods, foods rich in chlorophyll, plant compounds like phytoestrogens and phytosterols, any green-colored foods.
5) The Throat chakra contains a communicative vibration that resonates truth. This voice acknowledges free will and the senses, and it gives us our ability to make decisions and to surrender to a higher spiritual presence. A healthy throat chakra will serve as the portal to communicate and express the emotions, thoughts, and feelings of the other chakras through sound in a way that is authentic and true.
Chakra Colors: Aquamarine, light blue
Health Associations: Responsible for the sensory apparatus of the body, including the lips, tongue, nose, mouth, and ears, as well as the vehicles of voice and breath like the larynx, pharynx, and throat. Also oversees the "integration" functions of the body through its command of metabolism through the thyroid gland, and through the coordination of the multitude of functions (e.g. chewing, swallowing, breathing, smelling, etc.) occurring in the throat area.
Throat Chakra Healing Foods: Sea plants, fruits, juices, soups, sauces, (which bring together different elements like water and earth), and foods from different ethnic groups (The throat chakra encourages variety of foods.)
6) The Third eye chakra is the seat of mystical, intuitive knowing that spirals forth the awareness that we are spiritual beings connected to universal wisdom and truth. A healthy third eye chakra will encourage the path of internal visions and dreams, with the realization that they are Divinely guided and inspired.
Chakra Colors: Indigo, violet
Health Associations: Responsible for hormone function and secretion, sleep/wake cycles, and dreaming. Oversees the "perception" functions of the body through the brain, eyes, and neurotransmitters.
Third Eye Chakra Healing Foods: Caffeine, tea, chocolate, spices, wine, purple-red foods (purple potatoes, red onions, blackberries, blueberries, purple grapes, etc.)
7) The Crown chakra is home to the pure essence that connects to All That Is. A healthy crown chakra will manifest as the ability for individuals to be confident in their faith in a Higher Power, higher self, or in a force that is highly intelligent and creative.
Chakra Colors: White, lavender, pastel colors
Health Associations: Responsible for infusing the body with life force, allowing the entire individual to function as a divine creature, intelligent and connected to Spirit. Oversees the "electrical" functions of the body through the central nervous system.
Crown Chakra Healing Foods: Since the crown chakra is more "spirit" than "matter," it is not nourished with physical foods in the same way that they feed other chakras, but the crown chakra thrives on the sustenance that comes from sunlight, air, and love.